Thursday, October 6, 2011

Admonished

A few weeks ago, I was at the park with the boys when an older man who was there with his grandson approached me to tell me I "shouldn't let the baby lay like that." He had his head cocked to one side, since one side is stronger than the other. We've been doing exercises to even him out, but really it's not that big of a deal. I brushed the guy off even as he proceeded to engage me in conversation, telling me all about how he watches his grandson but won't watch the other grandkid because he's still in diapers. Then, he stood off to the side and yelled at the kid repeatedly- "Daniel, NO!" "Don't do that!" "What are you doing?!?" So on and so forth.

Well, today, at a DIFFERENT park, unbelievably, the same guy was there with his grandson. He of course had more sage advice for me.
GOTY (grandfather of the year): You shouldn't stand there with the carriage, you should come over here (points to bench/concrete pad where he is)
Me: No thanks, we're fine (I was standing in the pine needles/sand as close to the raised playground bed as I could get to Nathan. The guy was sitting further away without a full view of the play area).
GOTY: There's ants there, you really shouldn't stand there with the baby.
Me (probably sounding really bitchy): Thanks, we're fine here.

I'm sure he thought ants were going to engulf Noah and me at any minute. Poor, stupid, mother doesn't know anything about how to safely raise a child. After yelling at his boy for a few more minutes, he then walked away to the other side of the park, completely leaving his grandson, who was maybe 3 1/2 at the most! Keep in mind that this park isn't fence, there's a lake right there, and it's right on SR 50 so it attracts a lot of people who are just hanging out in the pavilion shade. I would NEVER walk away from my child at a park, or anywhere else for that matter! Oh, and the kicker? He was parked next to me and as I pulled out I noticed that he had no car seat in his truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment