Thursday, August 18, 2011

Progress

I'm better now! The fever passed after a few days and no one else in the house got sick. I was still pretty nervous about it being an incision infection, but I guess all is well.

Circumcision
Yesterday was Noah's circ, a balancing act of near historic proportions, since Jason was at work. My mom and I took both kids to the ped office- she stayed out front with Nathan while I went back with Noah. This would have been okay except for the fact that Nathan was overtired, and then on top of that it started pouring so we had to stay in the office an extra 15 minutes (felt like hours) while we waited for it to pass. The procedure went fine, and Noah is up to 8 lbs 6 oz (from 7 7 last Thursday and 8 3 at birth). With Nathan's circumcision, the 24 hours following the procedure were pretty hellish. He was screaming, pooping, needing his gauze changed, and leaking out of the diaper. This time, I researched caring for the wound and found this site. This method of gauze application is MUCH better. Noah's response has also been totally different (more on this later). Whereas Nathan was a screaming wreck, Noah has taken it all in stride, quietly bearing the pain and just asking to be snuggled and nursed a little more than usual.

Nursing
Things are going really well in this department, another example of how two kids from the same gene pool can be as different as night and day. Noah is an easy latcher and quick and efficient eater. He'll nurse more in the day and every four hours or so at night, which is fine with me. I pretty much quit pumping a few days ago, because really what's the point? I'm planning to just pump one extra bottle every day or so to build up a supply for when he eventually goes to my mom's for the day and/or when I go back to work.

Changes
Yesterday Noah was having a growth spurt, nursing more frequently, sleeping, etc. Today he's a different baby! I notice that today (incidentally one day after his "due date") he is much more alert, looks at toys, stays awake longer, and makes better eye contact. It's so neat to watch the milestones already!

Personalities
I have been absolutely fascinated by the personality differences between Noah and Nathan, even at their young ages. I always thought Nathan was pretty low maintenance, until I met Noah. Now I realize that Nathan is a mini-me and Noah a mini-Jason. Here's a few distinctions:

Nathan:
goes from 1 to 11 on the temper scale in 2 seconds (me)
emotional, wears his heart on his sleeve (me)
organized, to a fault (me)
always hot (Jason)
doesn't like physical affection (Jason)
Nurturer (me)

Noah:
mellow personality, if he's hungry he'll just grunt rather than go to an all out I'M STARVING scream (Jason)
cold hands and feet (me)
internalizes pain or concerns rather than letting it out (Jason)

I don't THINK I'm anthropomorphizing Noah, I feel like these are pretty accurate observations. Time will tell I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment