Friday, June 11, 2010

Swim lessons

This week was SO hectic, but at least I'm managing to get one post in before I dive into microbiology homework. On Tuesday, Nathan started his infant swim lessons. I debated a lot about whether to just do a "mommy and me" type class offered by one of the cities, vs. much more expensive and time-consuming private "infant swim rescue" classes. Ultimately, I didn't want to spend hours researching the very best option, liked the look of the ISR site and concepts, and went with that. I contacted the closest instructor to us, who gives private lessons at her home and could accommodate both Jason's and my schedules (plus my parents' who will bring him on most Fridays), since the lessons are DAILY for a month. So far, we are pleased. Nathan is not. He cries as soon as he has to get in the water.


The interesting thing, though, is that he complies. He doesn't fight off the instructor and in fact is very passive. She tells him "ready, set, go" before she drops him in the water, and at "set" he holds his breath and dunks his face. So he definitely understands the concept! As soon as he comes up, he's bawling again. The lesson is only about 10 minutes each day (it probably feels a lot longer to Nathan) and at the end, he lays on an exercise mat next to the pool, like a wet noodle. I'll post pictures intermittently and see if he's smiling by the end of the four weeks. Here's hoping!


1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I've heard great things about ISR from Christina's friend. Her kid is even featured on the website. We'll have to have swim play-dates once they are both done so they can keep their skills fresh. Gavin starts at the Y on the 23rd so he'll be a little behind Nathan.

    ReplyDelete